Current:Home > ContactLegendary football coach Knute Rockne receives homecoming, reburied on Notre Dame campus -ProfitPioneers Hub
Legendary football coach Knute Rockne receives homecoming, reburied on Notre Dame campus
Ethermac View
Date:2025-04-06 19:38:42
SOUTH BEND, Ind. — Ninety-three years after the death of historically revered Notre Dame football coach Knute Rockne, his casket was exhumed and reburied at the Cedar Grove Cemetery at the University of Notre Dame.
Rockne, who coached from 1918 to 1931 and won three national championships, died in 1931 in a plane crash. He was 43. His mass was celebrated at Notre Dame’s Sacred Heart Church, now the Basilica of the Sacred Heart, on April 4, 1931.
Rockne’s grave, along with the graves of his wife, son and grandson, were moved from Highland Cemetery in South Bend to Cedar Grove Cemetery on Notre Dame’s campus, accompanied by an interment service led by Fr. Paul Doyle, C.S.C. on April 28.
The University of Notre Dame released a statement regarding their assistance to the Rockne family.
"At the request of the Rockne family, the University of Notre Dame was honored to assist with the disinterment of the remains of football player, coach and athletic director Knute Rockne and several Rockne family members from Highland Cemetery in South Bend and their subsequent burial at Cedar Grove Cemetery on campus," the statement wrote. "The prayers of the Church were offered for the repose of their souls upon their reinterment."
Opinion:A Notre Dame football coaching legend (finally) returned to where he belongs on campus
Tricia Sloma, morning anchor for Tribune reporting partner WNDU-TV, attended the reburial and spoke with Rockne’s surviving family about their decision to move the graves decades later.
"The reburial was a relief for so many of these family members," Sloma said, describing the reburial as somber, with tears shed during the interment, yet they had feelings of a weight lifted, as well.
"The family seemed relieved that they had finally reached this point with the university," she said. "These surviving relatives buried their parent’s ashes with this family plot. They were saying goodbye to mom and dad again. Knowing the legacy of their family and their family name, it’s a lot of weight. I think all that weight lifted, yesterday."
When Sloma attended the reburial, she spoke with Rockne’s granddaughter, Jeanne Anne Rockne, who said moving the graves had been a topic of discussion for decades, but it was something her father was against.
Seven surviving Rockne grandchildren made the decision to move the graves, WNDU reported.
Cedar Grove Cemetery is open to the public from dawn to dusk. Video or photography is allowed for private or personal use only.
Email Tribune staff writer Camille Sarabia at [email protected].
veryGood! (276)
Related
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- Competitive Virginia races could play a critical role in the battle for Congress
- Powerball winning numbers for November 4 drawing: Jackpot hits $63 million
- Rudy Giuliani ordered to appear in court after missing deadline to turn over assets
- Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
- GOP Rep. Andy Ogles faces a Tennessee reelection test as the FBI probes his campaign finances
- Mike Tyson vs. Jake Paul date, time: How to buy Netflix boxing event at AT&T Stadium
- Sean 'Diddy' Combs thanks his children for their support as they sing 'Happy Birthday'
- Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
- Garth Brooks, Trisha Yearwood have discussed living in Ireland amid rape claims, he says
Ranking
- McConnell absent from Senate on Thursday as he recovers from fall in Capitol
- Marshon Lattimore trade grades: Did Commanders or Saints win deal for CB?
- Democrats defend Michigan’s open Senate seat, a rare opportunity for Republicans
- North Dakota measures would end local property taxes and legalize recreational marijuana
- Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
- GOP Reps. Barr and Guthrie seek House chairs with their Kentucky reelection bids
- Kamala Harris concert rallies: Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, Ricky Martin, more perform
- South Carolina forward Ashlyn Watkins has charges against her dismissed
Recommendation
Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
Jonathan Haze, who played Seymour in 'The Little Shop of Horrors,' dies at 95: Reports
Soccer Player José Hugo de la Cruz Meza Dead at 39 After Being Struck by Lightning During Televised Game
Golden Bachelor’s Theresa Nist Says Relocating Wasn’t the Only Factor Behind Gerry Turner Split
Selena Gomez's "Weird Uncles" Steve Martin and Martin Short React to Her Engagement
Is oat milk good for you? Here's how it compares to regular milk.
Hogan and Alsobrooks face off in Maryland race that could sway US Senate control
A Quaker who helps migrants says US presidential election will make no difference at the border